Founder and Instructor
About the instructor
So, let me tell you a bit about me and why you should work with me!
I graduated with a BA (Hons) Commercial Music and MA Design and Media Arts from the University of Westminster, London UK. I have held roles at Sony, award-winning digital marketing agency Outside Line and the pioneering music streaming dotcom Peoplesound where my clients included Universal, EMI and Warner. I also have indie sector experience with clients such as Sanctuary, Echo/Chrysalis, Beggars Banquet, Ministry of Sound, Tummy Touch, Warp, Wiiija and Telstar. In total, I worked on over a hundred artist campaigns, in fact, I led international, European and national digital marketing and PR campaigns for superstar artists from Beyoncé to Take That.
Now, I am the Founder of “Positively Music,” a music industry training provider working exclusively with micro-businesses, SMEs and large enterprises, such as record labels, publishers, managers, promoters, venues, recording studios and educational establishments. The specialty is training and developing digital music business strategy through online courses and live training.
I have lectured all over the UK on digital music business and entrepreneurship in universities and government business agencies training well over a hundred and fifty start-ups and students in the last 7 years. My clients included the University of Chester, University of Westminster, The Manchester College, London Metropolitan University, Croydon Council, Southwark Council, Portobello Business Centre, Leeds College of Music and the University of East London. In 2012, I was invited to speak at TEDx for the University of Westminster on fan-centred music business. In 2013, I self-published 7 reports and 2 books; “Your Music, Your Money” and “The Fan Experience.” In 2014, I was invited to speak at “The Big Music Project,” (represented by Global Radio and Capital FM,) and to comment on the U2 and Apple partnership on SRF News, Swiss Radio and Television. Last year saw the launch of Positively Music's online course offering.
In total, I have over fifteen years of professional music business experience.
I am known for my expertise, work ethic, creative ideas, insight and ability to make the complex seem simple.
- The campaigns I have worked on include acts such as Shakira, Pink, Beyonce, Chris Brown, Destiny's Child, Take That, Angie Stone, John Legend, Billy Bragg, Ministry of Sound, Rod Stewart, Luther Vandross, Paul Oakenfold, Pulp, Longview, Darren Hayes, Take That, Fiona Apple, Killa Kela, Angie Stone, SLK, Jon B, A, Psychid, Three 6 Mafia, Savage Garden, Anthony Hamilton, Bow Wow, Raheem DeVaughn, Citizen Cope, Syleena Johnson, Mary Mary, Kindred Family Soul, Charlie Wilson, Mint Royale, Aphrodite, ShyFX, Paul Oakenfold, Real Ibiza V, Pulp, Ginuwine, Bic Runga, Jamie Foxx, T-Pain, DMX, 50 Cent, Eminem, Bon Jovi.
- I also licenced music for the following projects at Peoplesound:-
Empire Magazine soundtrack CD
Mirror Newspaper Premium CD comprising of Pet Shop Boys, Cream, Kaci, Muse, BBMak, Zero 7, Beverley Knight, Cher, Depeche Mode, Oxide and Neutrino
Red Magazine Feel Good CD including Moloko, Lisa Stansfield and Catatonia
Metro Life Live In London CD including Suede, Basement Jaxx, Turin Brakes and Carl Cox
Mirror Newspaper Premium CD comprising of Stereophonics, Travis, Marti Pellow, Stereo MCs, Feeder, Shaggy and Gabrielle
Eve Magazine CD including Groove Armada and The Orb
- I am a classically trained vocalist in opera and jazz. I was the performance lead in school choirs and Principal Bass.
- As a university student, I ran a university record label and was a part of the Commercial Music Student Entertainment Team. I went on to build a recording and rehearsal studio with my university band.
- I’m really proud of some of the big campaigns I created. I’ve arranged for fans from all over Europe to chat with the Sugababes via SMS by coordinating a joint venture between O2, Universal, the Sugababes, Outside Line and technology provider Flytxt. I also secured massive online coverage and airtime for Bon Jovi by collaborating with Heart FM. Another project was a fan led press junket with Mary J Blige at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, London. I commissioned the build of the first official Take That website for the "Never Forget" album, and coordinated the online European Shakira album release for Oral Fixation 2.
- I enjoy travelling, writing music, socialising with family and friends and training in fitness and martial arts. I am vegan and concerned with all animal rights advocacy and environmental protection.
- I have 2 cats and a dog!
Praise For Leena Sowambur
“Leena is an incredibly proficient and knowledgable expert in her field. Personable and a fantastic public speaker and with an ease of communication ensuring the incredibly difficult and complicated sounds extremely easy. Any company will benefit from her input and I look forward to working with her again.”
Louise Siwoku, Founder of Private PA, Scarlett Office Services
“Leena advised me when I was stating out on my own as a producer - musician; advising me on the elements of the new industry and suggesting a clearer route to take based on my unusual mixed media background. She has had a long time working in the area and follows new business information and media strategies like a hawk. Not only that but she has a very straightforward way of coming up with new ideas and solutions that cuts straight to the core of the issue and leaves you reeling backwards with powerful new ideas! She's definitely been a fantastic asset to know and feels great to think that I can benefit from her advice on matters. Thanks again Leena!”
Jack Xij Oughton Composer, Writer, Visual Artist
“Leena provided an insightful, relevant and entertaining lecture concerning Digital Music Marketing & Promotion to our L6 Commercial Music Production at University of Chester. Her input added real-world value to the student experience, and she would be welcome back any time. We look forward to her continued input. Thanks Leena.”
Russell Dyson, Senior Lecturer in Commercial Music Production at University of Chester.
“Leena's passion and enthusiasm really engaged the students here when they asked her questions during 'Inside the Creative Industries'. Her sound advice and sheer determination inspired them to start networking immediately after the event and her encouragement also helped many of the students to see self-employment as an option.”
Julie Bhagat, Career Adviser, University of Chester.
“Leena is an extremely knowledgeable and professional individual with a wealth of experience at the highest level in digital marketing and strategy. A great public speaker in seminar and lecture format, Leena would be an asset to any individual or company thinking about developing their digital strategy.”
Trevor Fisher, Music Business Consultant and Author of The Popstar's Handbook www.trevorfisher.com
“After hearing Leena speak as a guest lecturer at my University I felt compelled to get in contact with her, and following this I became an intern with Nourishment Digital Communications. What started as a 12-week internship, ultimately turned into a 12 month working relationship and friendship. Leena gave me an incredible amount of her time during the internship to advise, coach and support me and the development of my career. During my internship Leena made sure that I also developed my own web presence alongside that of the projects we were working on. Leena is incredibly hard working, professional and dedicated to her work and she treated my professional development in the same way. I know that if it weren’t for Leena’s generosity with her time and dedication to me that I would not be in the position, professionally, that I am in today. Thank you Leena!”
Alison Lamb, Product Manager at SO Recordings
“Leena has been a Guest Lecturer at our University several times and on each occasion has delivered an exceptional session, which has been particularly current, interesting and rich with quality content. I have found Leena highly personable, extremely well organised and exceptionally well-informed.”
Jim Mason, Jim Mason, Senior Lecturer in Commercial Music Production, University of Chester.
“There are not enough boxes to tick to recommend Leena highly enough. When Leena and I worked with each other I always found her to be very personable, professional and highly experienced in her field. I have had only positive experiences with Leena. If you are looking for the person to help take you or your business to the next level then I recommend Leena because her experience and expertise will ensure your are guided down the right path.”
Brad Martens, Former Peoplesound colleague, Senior Account Director in Digital Marketing and Fitness Entrepreneur.
“Leena was very easy to work with as you never had to explain things twice and she would always come back with a creative solution to a problem.”
Rob Hanlon – Former Peoplesound colleague and now Global Brand Partnership Director at Yubl Ltd
Now watch the video testimonials!
This course is in the process of being made available for licence only. Please contact email@example.com for more info.
- Welcome! FREE
- Welcome To the Course FREE
- Introduction FREE
- About The Instructor FREE
- About The Instructor - Credentials FREE
- About This Course FREE
- Course Reading FREE
- What To Expect FREE
- How To Take This Course FREE
- The Positively Music Courses Linkedin Support Group
- The Music Marketing Template
- The Music Marketing Template Download!
- Section One Summary
- Understanding Situational Analysis FREE
- Course Activity - Competitor Analysis Worksheet FREE
- The Process FREE
- S.M.A.R.T Worksheet
- Resources And Tools
- Positioning - Roger's Model FREE
- Positioning Questions Course Activity
- Campaign Themes
- Campaign Themes Brainstorm
- Section Two Summary
- Quiz On Campaign Basics FREE
- About Digital Music Marketing FREE
- Digital Music Marketing Exercise - Defining The Problem FREE
- Defining The Problem - Extra Information
- Digital : Email
- Basic Guide To Email Marketing
- Digital : Advertising
- Digital Advertising - Extra Information
- Digital : Social Media
- Digital : Social Media - Blog Posts To Read
- Digital : Mobile Marketing
- Digital : Mobile Marketing - Extra Reading
- The Street Team
- The Street Team Person Spec and Task Management Resource
- Digital Music Marketing - In Session Part One FREE
- Digital Music Marketing - In Session Part Two
- Digital Music Marketing - In Session Part Three
- Section Four Summary
- Quiz On Digital Music Marketing